About Aged Care

Your starting point for information about aged care — what it is, types of government-funded aged care services, how much it costs, aged care laws and what we’re doing to improve quality of care.

What is aged care?

Aged care is the support provided to older people in their own home or in an aged care (nursing) home. It can include help with everyday living, health care, accommodation and equipment such as walking frames or ramps. Government-funded aged care services are available to eligible people.

Types of aged care

Government-funded aged care services include in-home care (care in your home), residential care in aged care (nursing) homes, and short-term care such as respite care. If you’re not eligible, you can choose to access privately funded services, but you will need to pay the full cost yourself.

How much does aged care cost?

If you can afford to, you’re expected to help with the cost of government-funded aged care. How much you pay depends on things like your finances, the services you receive and care provider fees. There are limits and caps for some fees. Providers must get approval to change fees for some services.

Quality in aged care

All Australian Government-funded aged care services must meet the Aged Care Quality Standards. Find out how aged care providers are assessed, what happens if standards are not met, how you can check the quality of care, and what to do if you have a complaint.

Aged care laws in Australia

The Aged Care Act 1997 is the main law that covers government-funded aged care. It sets out rules for things like funding, regulation, approval of providers, quality of care and the rights of people receiving care. Laws on diversity and discrimination also apply to aged care.

What we’re doing about aged care

We administer aged care laws and develop policy that supports high quality aged care. We also consult with the community and other stakeholders on aged care issues and develop programs that target aged care needs.

For more information about Aged Care, go to the Department of Health and Aged Care.